1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Watched an egg laid today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by usalbrechts, Oct 18, 2007.

1. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    It was strange....I went into the coop to check on the new silkies. There were 2 birds in 1 nest, a RIR and a Leghorn. I glanced over before walking out and the LH was standing up with back to me. I watched while she pushed out an egg! It was both cool and weird!!! I think if my one daughter saw that, she wouldn't be eating our eggs anymore!! :eek:

2. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    aren't you lucky to see that! my chickens are shy, they don't like to be watched. i've even tried to just sit off to the side and be unobtrusive, but they know when i'm peeking at them. at least they have started to let me know when they've laid an egg.

i like the freshly laid ones, on a cold day, who needs a heater, just hold one of those! [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I saw one of my RIR lay her first egg last week, too. I thought it was cool. LOL

4. kelyeliot

kelyeliot Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Western New York
    How cool!!!!! I saw my Aracuana lay her first egg on Sunday!!!! She finally laid her second egg on Wednesday! I have been waiting and I can't believe I was there to see the first one laid!!!!! Yes everyone around here thinks I have lost my mind![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by