Watcher the Protector

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SkyWarrior, May 20, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I named one of my accidental roo chicks Watcher because he sits and watches over the entire flock. I've separated the geese, turkeys and Cornish Xs to the pen next to the layers so that 1. I can feed appropriate feed to them and 2. Take a bit of the stress away because of the numbers. So, Watcher is in the original pen and the geese et al are in another pen.

While I was picking up the geese, the African gosling fussed incredibly. Watcher leapt into action and flew right at me, claws extended -- right into the fencing. [​IMG] He looked pretty upset. Watcher is about 7 weeks old. He calmed down after I set down the gosling.

Who'd think that a chick like that would be so protective? [​IMG]

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:I'm guessing that as time goes by you'll marvel at him some days and be frustrated with him on others. It's funny how a few Roos are roosters almost from day one. I got this little guy at the feedstore (straight run), we were doing everything we could to avoid having a rooster and yet I knew when I carried him home in the little box that this little one was all boy. We humans, and the hens as well, were all a little relieved and a lot sad, the day a hawk got him.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Whoops sorry about the double posting -- not sure how to delete it though ...

Quote:I'm guessing that as time goes by you'll marvel at him some days and be frustrated with him on others. It's funny how a few Roos are roosters almost from day one. I got this little guy at the feedstore (straight run). We were doing everything we could to avoid having a rooster and yet I knew when I carried him home in the little box that this little one was all boy. We humans, and the hens as well, were all a little relieved and a lot sad, the day a hawk got him.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  4. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Watcher is actually pretty mild. He mostly watches (hence his name). He doesn't spar with the other accidental roo and he seems willing to hang back and let the chicks do their thing. He will eat after them. The other accidental roo doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

I'm just really surprised at how he decided that I was a threat to the African goose (and how, evidently, he thinks both pens of birds are "his" flock). The goslings are big enough to kick his butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by