1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Hello fellow BYC'rs One of my baby Sussex chicks that were hatched seems to have some type of upper respiratory going on. She is constantly opening and shuttiing her -month and no sound is being made. She is eating good, seems lively, so I was wondering what causes that. I had a bad cold last week but I tried to stay away from the babies. She is 1 week old . Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have not had to deal with respiratory issues so far. Hopefully someone will come along soon to help you. It is still early for most. You can also use the search box to find older threads on the subject. [​IMG]

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I don't think its possible to pass a cold on across species, so I wouldn't worry that she's caught yours [​IMG]

Opening her beak on its own doesn't necessarily mean respiratory problems. Do her nostrils look clear, or mucousy? Any sneezing sounds?

When a chicken opens her beak to breathe, it isn't usually very wide. Just enough to let the air in.
    I've noticed one of my birds occasionally doing this sort of yawny-thing, where she keeps opening her beak much wider. It's usually after eating, and I've come to the conclusion that she's just trying to dislodge something in her throat [​IMG]

I've no experience of chicks though, so sorry if none of that's helpful!

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    If it looks like it is almost like a gag she is adjusting her crop. Normal.

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Maybe mix some of her food with water to soften it and see if anything changes?

6. JustAChickenLittle&More

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks everybody!. She's still doing it, but like I said, she is running around, eating ect., wonder if I should get some baby grit?

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How hot is it in the brooder/outside? Is she panting because she's hot? If your feeding chick starter or soft treats like egg and yogurt they wont need any grit. Good luck.

8. JustAChickenLittle&More

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Hey Nikki;

They are inside in the brooder. The temp is 85 degrees. We are feeding chick starter. I'm so worried about her. It kinda looks like a constant gag reflex. No mucus from nose but she s holding her wings kinda funny; a little away from her body?

9. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    They do that with their wings when they're too hot, to cool down.
    Is she drinking enough?

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My chicks do that all the time and sometimes my adult birds. I believe it's just adjusting the crop as well. All mine that used to do that as chicks are now nice healthy adult birds [​IMG] I wouldn't worry, as long as she is running around with the others and acting normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by