1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WATCHMEN

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kanchii, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Phew, what a movie... Probably should have gotten an NC-17 rating instead of just an R, but I'm seriously blown away by the movie. I read the comic, and they stuck very close it it, changing a few things to make it easier for the big screen adaption, and I actually like the slightly different ending they gave it more than the original one.

I'll try not to spoil it, since not everyone is obsessive and went to the midnight screening, like me, hehe! I got in at 5:30 since I went to a theater far away with my friends. I just woke up, it's past noon.

The graphics were great, they kept it fast paced and exciting, definitely 300-esk.

And please don't bring religion into the topic of this movie. I know lots of Christians don't like it's story.

2. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I used to collect graphic novels but I didn't know anything about Watchmen. Just saw it and it blew me away. DH wanted something more standard - I don't think he wanted to have to think at the end of a hard week [​IMG]. Anyway, great film. I'll be honest though. I didn't like any of them at the end.

My only fault with the character development was that both Silk Spectres were just "the women" and defined almost entirely by their relationships. Silk Spectre II left a huge hole in the plot by simply not having an opinion about what was done to achieve world peace. She just kind of mooned over Dr Manhattan as he left and didn't seem to care about Rorschak at the end at all - weird given what she did for him earlier. What was her position supposed to be?

3. PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Georgia
    I cried during this movie from the excitement of seeing a pillar in my life as a comic book geek being shown on screen. I was born in 1982 so of course I was a wee bit late in learning about the Watchmen, my older cousin gave me his beat up copy during a yard sell and Ive had it pretty much on my book shelve every since I was eleven. Im going to go watch it every time I have 3 hours to spare. I watched Sin City 5 times, Bat Begins and Dark Knight probably 6 times. Ill watch this in the theaters until it hits DVD.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I went to see this movie on Saturday and didn't like it. I had never read the comic and much of the movie didn't make sense (I don't believe you should HAVE to read anything for a movie to make sense!)

I liked Rorshach (sp?) and Adrian, but the rest of the movie was just too long and too confusing for me. I also thought it lacked action and there just seemed to be way too many holes in the plot.

It's funny because i've encountered certain people who have loved the movie and certain people who hated it. I have yet to find anybody in between!

5. Kanchii

It's true, it's definitely something you either love or hate!

I agree that it sucks that you have to read it for it to make better sense, but the book was just so much for it to live up to and they only had 2.5 hours to compress it... They wanted to make the hardcore fans of the novel happy, and for the most part, they have.

Punker, I'm right there with you on Sin City and the Dark Knight, buddy!

Lengel, you don't really like any of them at the end of the book. Everyone has faults, and that's what they emphasized. This is no Superman. In this movie, the hero's are psychotic "butt"holes, they either have no emotion, they can't get it up ( [​IMG] ), they don't like their job. Shoot women pregnant with your child, explode enemies into a spray of entrails... The list goes on. Laurie (Silke Spectre II) doesn't really like Rorsach,thus her not really caring in the end. She just sprung him from the prison because Night Owl wanted to. She's a bit of a depressing example of women, but she still kicks butt.

6. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I was so wound up with anticipation to see the thing (and hoping against hope that it wouldn't be too much of a letdown compared to the graphic novel), that I'm having a hard time forming an objective summation of how I felt about it.

One thing that I thought was interesting...my husband, who had NOT read the source material, picked out the one little thing that was significantly different from the book, and said that that one little thing "seemed a little off." Good instinct from the hubs!

7. Kanchii

Quote:Ah I'm guessing you're talking about the ending? Yeah that rather bugged me, but at the same time... The books ending always made me go wth?

8. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:That wasn't what happened in the film at all. Springing him was completely her idea. I personally didn't have a hard time following even though I hadn't read the graphic novel but that was a glaring discrepancy in the plot such that, at the end, I was just waiting for her to take some kind of stand until the credits rolled.

As a side note, why is the studio griping about how they could have made as much as Dark Knight on the opening weekend if only the film was shorter so that they could have had more seatings? That is the stupidest piece of "logic" I've heard in a while.

9. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I found it entertaining. I can't say I was excited about going but DH sat with mouth open, eyes staring straight ahead and the popcorn consumed with no consciousness. [​IMG]
    It should have had a higher rating with the love scene, phew! A bit to extreme, none of the teens minded in the audience, yet comic book love making and movie love making rate differently.
    Just as the slong on the nuclear guy, [​IMG] WTH is up with that???
    I guess I have become a old lady! LOL!!!! But look at the computer work they could have saved by just assuming that he had what the lady dreamed for.... Kinda like Barbi and Ken, you know he is a man, but we don't have to pull his pants down to see just what he is packing.
    Anyways, it was entertaining, in places I was in awe, other places I could have gotten up to find a magazine to read.
    I am so glad that you folks liked it, and your right, if you read the comic book, then you loved it- the craftsmanship that went into this was amazing!

10. Kanchii

Quote:That wasn't what happened in the film at all. Springing him was completely her idea.

Wait I thought it was Night Owls? Right after they made love they were sitting their nude and he's all "I think we have an obligation to our team" or something and then said he thought they should spring Rorschach. She was like "what? Springing someone from jail is a lot different then saving people from a fire." And he said "I know... It's a lot more fun." Wasn't that all she had to say on the subject?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by