1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water advice?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jeff21, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Jeff21

Jeff21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast Kansas
    I currently have 32 chickens. 25 new hens on one side separated, and 6 hens and a rooster on the other side.

Are there any certain water supplements anyone favors?

They're not laying yet, which doesn't really concern me. They will start when they feel like it. But I would just like to keep them "peppy".

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    You could add some electrolytes, though I honestly wouldn't bother with it unless they look stressed.

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    If they are able to free range / have ample space to move about, have a properly balanced diet, there is no need to add supplements to the water. I do add1 TBS. of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 gallon of water. Some people believe it has benefits, like aiding in the digestive track against bacteria & is suppose to be good for their bones and other don't believe it has any benefits at all. I do know that by doing so it helps keep the mold/slim from building up on the sides of the waterer in hot weather. I've always done this and haven't had an issue but I do change their water daily....whether it needs it or not!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I agree with Sue. Add some ACV to their water. Helps keep algae out, plus it's good for them and keeps their system cleaned out. ~ Aspen

5. Jeff21

Jeff21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast Kansas
    I've never heard of that. I will have to give it a go! Thanks for the advice. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by