1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water and Breeding question?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by EmAbTo48, Jan 6, 2013.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    This past week we had a huge blow out from one of the main pipes in our barn. We have a pretty old barn that we have renavated over the years it is mostly stone walls its very lovely but of course the water pipes are actually underneath the cement ground I have no idea if this is a normal practice now a days. It used to be a huge dairy farm but today we don't have cows at all. We called a company to come out and look at it and at this point we don't have the funds for at least another month (it is going to cost them over 3500 bucks to fix the pipe running all the way under our barn) We are unable to run water at all unless we want to flood half our barn!

So heres my question for inviduals that live in the upper midwest we are in Northern WI where it drops down to freezing till sometimes Mid March. How important is water to geese being able to breed and give you proper fertile eggs?

At this point we ordered 15 5 gallon jugs that we will be using our house hose and filling and loading into our truck :( Talk about a pain in the arse!

I have been able to provide a kiddie pool for my geese 4-5 days a week and they have begun mating just recently. We have heated buckets for drinking water and change those every 2 days so thats not terrible to do with jugs at all. But can I get away with only allowing bathing 2-3 times a week during mating season and still get viable eggs?

I am just not sure when this whole exacavation will actually begin it seems like a lot of work since they have to tear half our cemement up to get to the pipe that has busted.

What do you do for winter for watering?

Thanks!!!! Sorry this got kind of lengthy!

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is quite likely that a successful mating with a fertile gander can provide enough sperm to fertilize a goose's eggs for up to 2 weeks +. Providing water for mating/bathing 2 or 3 times a week should assure that your eggs are fertile. Good luck at resolving the water issue. We were without power for ten days after hurricane Sandy. Hauling water is a DOUBLE pain in the arse.

3. roboboy

roboboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    They will be able to breed succesfully just fine with a minimum of water.

These are the water dishes i use. Usually they breed on the ground right next to it, dunking their heads in the water. If they want more than that to breed in, they gotta hope for a puddle

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/robusjosh/geese/P3212098.jpg

4. roboboy

roboboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    They will be able to breed succesfully just fine with a minimum of water.

These are the water dishes i use. Usually they breed on the ground right next to it, dunking their heads in the water. If they want more than that to breed in, they gotta hope for a puddle

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/robusjosh/geese/P3212098.jpg

My reply decideded to post itself twice... lovely.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I am using kiddie pools for my waterfowl right now and I've seen them get the job done. You should be fine. By the by, pretty Sebbie!

~ Aspen

6. sandipuppy

sandipuppy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    wait a minute...they need water to breed???
    We won't thaw out up here until late March...am I doomed to get no offspring?

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They have better fertility in water but I've gotten fertile eggs before when they didn't have access to swimming water

8. sandipuppy

sandipuppy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    That's comforting!
    Maybe I'll give them all a bathtub on mild days...what's the coldest temp. they can safely swim in?

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    kiddie pools, cement mixing pans are both good options. They NEED to bath to stay healthy, if they cant properly bath their feather condition will show with dirt and frayed/split feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by