water and feed inside coop at night?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prthll, Oct 28, 2009.

1. prthll

prthll New Egg

Oct 28, 2009
    Hello everyone. Brand new to this. We just finished building "play yard" coop. Do you leave the water and feed out in the enclosed play yard at night or do you put it in the coop with the chickens at night. Also if it is all Enclosed- the coop and the play yard do you have too close the door to the coop at night? thanks for your help

2. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    My food stays inside the coop 24/7. i never bring it outside. Right now my water stays outside 24/7. I'll have to bring the water inside when it gets colder, closer to freezing time. If the girls get hungry, they go inside to get a bite and I don't have to worry about it raining on their feed.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I keep food and water in the coop and water only in the run.

I just feel safer at night with my birds locked up in the coop. It helps me sleep at night. Personal choice though if you are confident that your run is predator proof.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  4. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Im new to keeping chickens .. but heres what i do ..

In my coop where they sleep i just have water, in the run i have food and water.. mainly so they dont eat to much lol, Sometimes if the weather is bad I will feed them inside
    I also leave my door open occasionally because i too have an enclosed pen, As the winter gets colder i will start closing it again.. It hasn't made any difference to their lifestyle and laying habits,

It also makes life a little easier so you dont have to get up at daft oclock everyday to let them out ..

5. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    I only feed and water during the day, at night everything gets taken up. The roaches outside here are huge, I would go at night to check on the girls and there would be a dozen or so Palmetto Bugs in their feed.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a hanging feeder that hangs in the coop 24/7.

I have a raised waterer that is in the coop 24/7. My light in the coop is on a timer... goes on at 6AM and off at 8PM.

I have water at the end of the run and then I feed them in their run 2 to 3 times a day.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  7. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I have a hanging feeder in the hen house and a hanging water inside. Also, large water bowl out in the run.

8. nyseman

nyseman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Garber
    Water and food inside so the feed doesn't get wet. Also, I dont believe chickens eat when it's dark. All they want to do is sleep. Then in the morning they can get up and eat breakfast before I let them out.

9. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have a feeder and a waterer outside in the run as well as another set inside the coop... gives them a little breathing room from each other when trying to eat or drink

10. Splash Giants

Splash Giants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    I feed and water them outside allday then take it up at night because once they hit the roost they normally dont eat.I will put feed and water in the pen if for some reason they cant free range that day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by