Water and Food at 6 days old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kdcolorado, May 16, 2011.

1. kdcolorado

kdcolorado Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    How in the world does anyone keep their chicks from filling their water with bedding? I have 16 chicks and they are 6 days old. I have even raised there water about 1.5 inches off the floor of the brooder...But I clean it out and an hour later its full of bedding again. So their water is sooooo dirty. I bought a feeder at the farm store,
    it has 14 holes, 7 on each side and i fill it with food. Before the day is over its full of bedding so im not sure if they are getting to their food or not.
    Does anyone else go through this on a daily basis?[​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    yes! I change water and feed all the time. Even with raising it happens.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It helps to raise the water and feed up with a board. Also I put a stones in the water to try and keep them from walking in it.

4. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    It happens here too. My food and waterer is off the floor on bricks and I have to change the water every hour I think. Mine are starting to fly on top of the waterer so there is poop everywhere. GROSS! [​IMG]

5. kdcolorado

May 11, 2011
    Thanks...lol I thought I was going crazy and doing something wrong. I wish I could put them in the coop outside but it is still very cold and snowed just two days ago. I feel much better knowing this is a norm.

6. kdcolorado

May 11, 2011
    I have stones in the water dish....but it doesnt keep mine out of them. laffs And it is about 1.5 inches off the floor. They are so young I am not sure how far off the floor it can be for them to reach it.

7. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a way to hang rabbit water bottles use them.They work well but I don't know how many you would need but I would start with 2 -32oz.

8. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I used paper towels for the first 4 days or so then I switched to sand. Best decision I could have made... I also put stones in the smaller water bowl which is used in "sick bay" for the bum leg lil chick. but I don't have trouble with the large fountain. It is a one gallon fountain that has adjustable legs. The chicks are two weeks old now and once in the morning I kind of pour a lil out to rinse the trough, then once later in the day. At night I refill it.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I change the water several times a day. I treat it with probiotics and vitamins and I wash the container every other day. I'm a bit obsessive with the babies. The big girls I change the water once a day and wash the dish every other day. Same with the dog dish.

10. LoriNSally

LoriNSally Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    I have the same problem with my 2 week old girls. It has helped to put the water up on a block, as well as the food, but I think they like climbing up [​IMG] I just change the water and food once a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by