Water and Food Dishes.. Sizes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chwoey, Apr 22, 2009.

1. chwoey

chwoey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Should we buy new containers for the food and water, or can we use dishes we have at home?

How much food and water do they need? We only are getting 4 chicks(in about a hour, im so excited)

We can get containers from the man we are buying from, but my parents don't want to spend all the money.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The containers cost $1 and maybe $1-$2 more for a jar if you don't have one.... That's not a lot of money and it will keep the food cleaner and the chicks from drowning. If you just use bowls or something they will walk through them tracking food or water with, pooping in the food or water, dragging shavings in the food or water, or possibly even drowning in their water if it's too deep.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You want a waterer and not just a dish - there is another post here about someone's chicks all dying because they drown. If you use a regular dish for food, they poop in it.

4. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    we borrowed chick feeders and waterers from family, and then gave them back. Also just keep there food full, cause if theres not enough in there they could get stuck in there [happened to my uncle, it was terrible]. And their water, when it gets low fill it up, or about everyday other day we changed [and change] ours.

Im so excited for u!

godd luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by