Water and food tips?

The Chickadee

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
Hi! I have a couple of adorable baby chickies that have just started to romp around and jump and fly and, inadvertently, get bedding and poop into EVERYTHING. I am pretty tired of constantly having to clean out their water and feeder, what can I do to get it to stay clean longer? Right now they are just sitting on the bottom of the brooder. Thanks for any tips!

Try out using some pavers or bricks so that there off the ground. make sure it's level to the back or chest of the smallest chicken. That way, they can all reach it and they won't be able to kick things into it as easy!

This is a common issue when resting the feed/water station on the brooder floor -- the best way to prevent contamination is to raise them up.  You can do this by either suspending them from above or placing them any number of objects (stones/pavers, wood blocks, etc) to raise them up.  Keeping the lip at about chest height for the chicks makes it accessible for eating/drinking but reduces the bedding getting in.  Depending on your brooder size you can also install an actual "platform that not only holds the feed/water station up but provides and area around it that is up out of the bedding.  For example, I am currently brooding directly in the coop (4x8) so there is plenty of room and I have an upside down cake pan holding the waterer, the chicks simply hop up onto the pan and walk over to the waterer to get a drink.....added benefit is it is easily cleaned of poop with a quick rinse.   If it were colder I could easily either use a barrier between feet and cold metal or an alternative object to make the platform:

The feeder is also elevated - in this case I took advantage of an exposed 2x4 in the frame, added two more placed together and "ta-da" a feed platform with a raised feeder and a 2x4 on either side for the chicks to stand on while they eat --

, if you are using a box as a brooder you can cut a door and attach a "room" (separate box) that is not bedded at all and keep the feed/water station in that room.

Last edited:
We were having the same problem, even with putting the food and water up on a block of wood. We solved the water problem by getting some watering nipples at Tractor Supply and screwing them into the bottom of an old bicycle water bottle. All it took was a 3/8" drill bit and it's worked perfectly. We've hung two in the corners of our box (dog crate) and they took to it right a way. We kept the old water dish in there for a couple days just to make sure everyone got the hang of the nipples. Our chicks just turned 4 weeks old and it's been about a week now with the new set up. Good luck!

We were having the same problem, even with putting the food and water up on a block of wood.  We solved the water problem by getting some watering nipples at Tractor Supply and screwing them into the bottom of an old bicycle water bottle.  All it took was a 3/8" drill bit and it's worked perfectly.  We've hung two in the corners of our box (dog crate) and they took to it right a way.  We kept the old water dish in there for a couple days just to make sure everyone got the hang of the nipples.  Our chicks just turned 4 weeks old and it's been about a week now with the new set up.  Good luck!

Yes, nipple water systems are great at controlling mess and preserving space

Thanks a lot for all the helpful tips! I think I'll try either hanging up the food/water... or should I put them on a block.... Now there are too many good options!
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom