Water and muck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalpro24, Jun 9, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    We have a coop with a wood floor that the ducks stay in at night. the barn is old and rooting in places. We used to put food and water in there at night but it always got stinky and gross. We looked stuff up and decided that w3e wouldn't give them food and water at night.It's worked out just fine. But I do want them to have water in the summer months. Sooo I was wondering you could give or show me ideas that would work for them to have water at night but not make such a big mess.

2. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    I've heard that ducks can learn to use water bottles, but I've never tried it before. We have some from when we had rabbits, so I think I will try to see if they can figure it out.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I had great success keeping the runners in the basement at night all winter.

For water, I used the bottom half of a large plastic dog crate as a watering area. The doorway is low enough for them to cross, but has a four inch lip. The rest of it is about 15 inches high on the sides.

I put sawdust in the bottom, and a straight-sided large cooking pot in the crate, about a foot away from the entrance. Very little water ever splashed out. It kept ten runners with plenty of water.

The sawdust - which gets wet and a bit poopy, can easily be shoveled into a bucket and removed, then replaced with fresh.

4. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Do you have a picture of that? I'm not sure if I'm understanding what your saying. Sorry

5. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Any more ideas?

6. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    water nipples. i recently ordered some and plan on putting them in my flocks sleep house so they can have access to water 24/7

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Does this help?

[​IMG]

Believe it or not, English is my first language. sigh.

8. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Having the water in a separate tray like that is a good idea. That way they can still have water to clean out their nostrils in. [​IMG]

9. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Lots, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by