Water At night

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MistyMountain, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Do Chickens NEED water at night? I am preparing for the winter, and while they get fresh water in the morning and again when they get locked up in the coop in the evening, I was wondering if they actually need to drink at night? I don't have electricity in the coop, and there is a chance it will freeze slightly overnight on occasion. Will this be a problem if it is replaced in the morning with fresh water?

2. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    They'll be fine for a few hours without water. They won't be drinking much, if at all, at night anyway.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens are almost unresponsive after dark. It seems unlikely that they eat or drink at night. In any event, I keep feed in the coop to protect it from the weather and keep water in the run to avoid messy spills.

Chris

4. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I don't put water inside the coop. I think when the chickens go to sleep they sleep the entire night. I notice they all drink and eat BEFORE they go into the coop for the night. In the morning they are let out as soon as it gets light out.

5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

I provide feed water and grit to my flock in the run and the coop. It seems to encourage them to head into roost on time and it gives them a start on their day if they are awake and restless before the coop door is opened. It is also there for them if they are driven back into the coop during the day by weather or something scaring them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by