Water barrel to water chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Justinseaworthy, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Justinseaworthy

Justinseaworthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    So I am new to the chicken thing and still have a few questions...(should be getting some hens from a friend who is trying to down size her flock! free and already laying!)

I am still building my coop (Ill post pics later) and I have a few 55gal barrels I am going to be using to collect the rain water off the roof of my house. so my question is, can I use that water for the chickens? or just use for the garden? I was told that the roofing shingles have fiberglass in them and shouldnt be used for animals?

If I can use this water I have a few ideas on how to use this water to flow into my run...so I want to know if I can use it before I finish the coop and so I can put it in the right spot in the yard if I can/cant use it.

thanks so much! this site is so awesome! so much info!

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    The only water my layer and meat birds get is rain water collected in my barrels. I have regular old shingles on my roof.

3. Justinseaworthy

Justinseaworthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    thanks for the reply! I couldnt see how it would hurt them, but I thought Id ask! so thank you!

do you fill their watering bowls/whatever with this water or do you have a system so the barrels acts as an automatic waterer?

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Someday I will construct an automatic water feeding system, but for now I heft it to and fro!

5. Pump Hill Peeps

Pump Hill Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Jordan, NY
    Our Chickens Get There Water From Rain Barrels. Haven't Had Any Problems.. Build Away!!

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Rain barrels are good as long as it does not contact any chemicals on the way like moss killer and such. Also that can create a lot of pressure so make sure you accoutn for that with your watering system.

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    The Asphaltl shingle material is toxic.

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    If you have a metal or tile roof likely no problems, asphalt shingles do contain some toxins that could leach as well as fiberglass to hold them together and although it may not kill the birds some of these toxins could end up in your eggs.

Many folks still do it with no obvious problems, but I opt not to myself.

Just saying.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by