Water bath?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cravenchx, Sep 25, 2011.

1. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I know the girls and boy like a dust bath,
    but would they also enjoy a water bath?
    Say like a small garbage can lid with water?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some say their birds enjoy wading a bit in cold water on very hot days. But I doubt you'd get one to wade around on a typical day. Now, mine do enjoy a warm sink bath if I have to clean them up for some reason...lol. [​IMG]

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i would probably say no.. just to drink it. Mine dont mind the rain, however when it pours outside real hard... they all go running for cover.
    we also have ducks an 2 pools for them.. the chickens dont get into the pools however,,, they drink their water. [​IMG]

4. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Alot of mine will stand in shallow water, and they love it when I hose down some area to make big puddles for them. I think it gives them much relief on all our hot days! I have a few that prop themselves on the sides of a full water bucket, and they remind me of ladies at the swimming pool sitting on the edge, dangling their feet in the water! [​IMG]
    But, mine also seem to like the rain, and don't even mind thunder, but the hose is not tolerated!

Oh, but I should tell you they drink the water that they're standing in too.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Thanks for the input!

6. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Mine like to soak In a water dish on hot days. I have a new Hampshire that we have found in the pool more than once. Just floating. Not sure if she is just clumsy or did it on purpose. The kids have brought her in with us a few times and she just sits there floating like a duck. Doesn't try and get out. We put the other girls in and they flew out immediately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by