Water belly

Sunnyrooster1

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 13, 2014
Keene NH
I use a 14 gauge needle and introduce it into the area below the vent, I got 3 cups of yellow what I assumed was urine as it smelled like it. She has been fine and walking around and eating for 3 days now.(A 16 gauge would be better). You can go to you tube and find a lot of great surgery's there , I have done crop surgery with I great outcome and another not so great because I because I was chicken to do it.
There is hope, I put her on a broad spectrum antibiotic and so far so good. So hang in there! And good luck!
Sunnyrooster

I use a 14 gauge needle and introduce it into the area below the vent, I got 3 cups of yellow what I assumed was urine as it smelled like it. She has been fine and walking around and eating for 3 days now.(A 16 gauge would be better). You can go to you tube and find a lot of great surgery's there , I have done crop surgery with I great outcome and another not so great because I because I was chicken to do it.
There is hope, I put her on a broad spectrum antibiotic and so far so good. So hang in there! And good luck!
Sunnyrooster
That fluid is ascites fluid that is collecting in the abdomen, probably from heart failure or liver failure that was brought on by infection, possibly from egg yolk peritonitis, or heart infection or high blood pressure. It may need to be removed periodically to enable the hen to breathe easier.
Chickens do not have urine, I think.
Chickens do have urine or urates, and it is the white cap on the droppings.

Last edited:

I knew about the white caps being their urine, but I did not think it sat like urine inside.

Yes, that is right.  The ascites fluid is made up of serum and may contain protein.  It can resemble urine as seen by Kathy's photo above.

It feels thicker than water, and is slimy...

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom