Water Bottles for Chicks?

new2chickens2011

Songster
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Hello,

Can chicks (or adults for that matter) use water bottles normally used for rabbits, like this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147243&lmdn=Small+Pet

????

A bigger one, of course.

Thanks!!
big_smile.png

Hi New2 - I have read about others using water bottles designed for rabbits/hamsters for chicks. I personally used a bottle with a "chicken nipple" for my chicks. It is similar to the rabbit water bottle - but instead of a ball that rolls up into the tube, a "chicken nipple" has a little metal rod that protrudes for the chicks to peck. When the rod is moved by the chicks, a little water flows from the bottle. Do a search on this forum for "chicken nipples" and you will find several threads - including info from rabbit waterer users. Good luck with your chicks.

I tried a conventional chick waterer first - WHAT A MESS!

I built a watering system that I'm about ready to fully implement. Today I did a trial run and tested for leaks. I still don't have all the hardware I need to finish it up yet, but I will soon. I bought a Lowe's bucket and lid. I cut a hole in the lid, put a 1 1/2" elbow on it, then glued a piece of pipe about 10 inches long. I then placed a cap on it that I drilled about 8 holes in. I'm going to glue a piece of screen on the inside of the cap to keep bugs and debris out but yet still provide ventilation that is required. From there you install a spout that you can plug a water hose up to. Then you take a 1 1/2 inch drain pipe and attach the other end of the water hose up to it. I then installed 3 nipples into that pipe. One of the nipples are leaking around where it's screwed into the pipe. Gonna have to work on that.

Anyway, I got an interesting ebook and my 3 nipples from http://www.avianaquamiser.com/

It
cost me $30 bucks but that mainly is for the ebook you get from them. You can google "Poultry water nipples" and find the nipples for less than $3 a piece if not cheaper.

To refill my 5 gallon bucket, I simply pull of the ventilation cap off (not glued!), insert water hose and fill the bucket. Gravity feeds the nipples water, provided the bucket is mounted higher than they are.

I think when I get this little setup working properly it will be a huge improvement from having to scrub, monitor, and fill up a traditional waterer everyday or every other day.

Good luck!

I'll update with pics when I can

Last edited:
I've tried both. Some of my chicks will take it to hanging waterer right away, others- sigh, just don't seem to get it. So, I keep both in my brooder to make sure everyone is hydrated. Major bummer is the clean up factor, but I can't figure out a way to make all of them use the hanging waterer. Oh, well.

What I did with mine is I put a leaky one in with my chicks. The chicks see the movement of the water dripping and have caught on to the fact that this tube with a ball in it equals water. I put a tiny lid underneath to catch the drops and figure if it drips the chicks can still get a drink from that. They are a week old and caught on in a few hours.

Since I accidently posted this in the quail section, I might as well post it here too! My wife took each chick and put their beak on the ball. It didn't take long until one of them figured it out, and they all went over there and went nuts! Piece of cake.

Back
Top Bottom