Water bottles work!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickadoodles, Mar 5, 2013.

1. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I just put a water bottle in my cage for my baby chicks and showed it to them. 10 min. later I checked on them and they are using the water bottle! That will be alot nicer than cleaning their water dish! [​IMG]

2. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    I have been using water bottles as a back up to the drinkers for 4years. If you introduce them to it as chicks they get the idea.

3. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I am a newbie, and got my first baby chicks this past weekend. I have been doing alot of reading in the forums. But I thought I would try the water bottle. They kept getting so much junk in their water dish that I had to change it nearly every hour... But they seem to like the water bottle. And thank you for letting me know how long you have been using the water bottle. Now I know that I can keep on using them.. NICE

4. QuietPony

QuietPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you talking about a water bottle that you would use for say a rabbit or guinea pig? With the little metal nozzle?

5. suebgbr

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    [​IMG]

Like this

1 person likes this.
  6. QuietPony

QuietPony Chillin' With My Peeps

huh. Wow! I never thought about using those. Thanks for the idea. My 6 year old daughter is an ace at refilling them already too, with the guinea pig and all. lol

1 person likes this.
  7. CityCraft

CityCraft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    A great idea! Yes, those babies dirty their water up in no time! I love watching them drink. So cute...

8. suebgbr

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    I have video of my week olds discovering how the rabbit bottle works but it is on my phone. I can't email it to my computer as the file is too big.
    I have photo's but every time the flash went off they stopped drinking!
    [​IMG]
    Ignore all the food on the floor, I always seem to take photo's before I tidy up!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by