Water bowl that only allows beak?

TheReadyBoys

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
P.E.I, Canada
My rooster has frostbite on his comb and I am a little bit worried. One thing I read to do is make sure that chickens can only put there beak in the water, or else there comb will become wet and this can cause frostbite. I am going to try to get more ventilation in the coop. But my question is do you know of a water bowl that only allows the beak of the chicken to enter the water. Preferably a DIY, but I may consider buying one. Also, any other tips about how to get rid of/prevent frostbite would be helpful. Thanks!

Check out plans on here for nipple waterers - I don't have them myself but have heard rave reviews and would like to build some someday!

Frostbite is generally considered to be the result of too much humidity, not from getting wet. I have watched my rooster drink from a bucket; and his comb does not get wet. The solution to too much humidity in the coop is to provide adequate ventilation.

Chris

Frostbite is generally considered to be the result of too much humidity, not from getting wet. I have watched my rooster drink from a bucket; and his comb does not get wet. The solution to too much humidity in the coop is to provide adequate ventilation.

Chris
Ok, but will -40 degree temperatures have any effect on it?

Back
Top Bottom