water bucket vs water jug

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The Ricker, Mar 23, 2015.

1. The Ricker

The Ricker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Charleston
    I have transitioned my hens to drink from the bucket with the red nipples from the gravity fed water jug. It is a lot less work BUT I don't know if my girls are drinking enough water. At night when I close them up in the coup some times they are sitting on the ramp and the door way not wanting to go in. I have given them water in a smaller jug for inside the coup but had stopped it when they started drink from the bucket. Now from their behavior at night are some of the hens not getting enough water during the day.
    What should I do?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! When they doe this you should try to give them some water, if they don't drink it then they probably fine.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

4. The Ricker

The Ricker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Charleston
    I did give them water in the coup tonight and they went to it fast. They were thirsty. Should I go back to the jug?

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! I don't like to see thirsty laying hens so I would be inclined to give them water and start over with the teaching them to use the nipples to be sure all the hens know how to drink from the nipples (if they are thirsty at night, tap on them so the birds can see the water drip like you did to start with etc), and double check to be sure they are all working. The hens going after fresh or new water may not mean they are really that thirsty, they will sometimes do that just because the water/ something is new... mine can have water sitting in front of them and if I bring out a new bucket they all want to drink out of that one.

6. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    I use these ones
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Keeps the water clean and these ones hold 3.5 litres, they hold just enough in the cup for them to drink. I do have to wash out the cup every couple days but that's when I fill it anyway.
    Good for chicks too since they can't drown in it

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by