1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water Chemistry

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Squishy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Was wondering if there are people here who know a bit about water chemistry....

More sepcifically... what exactly is the buffer capacity of water composed of? I was reading an article that totaly confused me... but I understood some of what was being said about GH KH and how it affects PH.

Can someone with knowledge in this area please put the subject in laymans terms for me? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

What does reading with your blinkers on mean? [​IMG]

3. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Uhh.. Horses wear blinkers when they're driving so they don't get distracted by the scenery....

And I'm really sorry because I edited the whole subject. My other post was very rambly and probably too introspective in my weird way... and I wanted to ask this question too...

Forgive me please? [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Hon, those are BLINDERS. Blinkers are turn signals on a car. [​IMG]

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Hon, those are BLINDERS. Blinkers are turn signals on a car. [​IMG]

[​IMG] (Sorry Squishy, but that was just funny). [​IMG]

6. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it... No more late night posting for me! [​IMG]

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Can you post a link to the article you were reading? I can probably translate. [​IMG]

8. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Thank you! [​IMG]

Heres the article .

Basically.. I am only trying to understand one area though.

I have fishes (Breeding Bettas) that would do better in more acidic conditions. I'm already using Indian Almond leaves in the water... and I'm about to receive some Peat (Sera) that I'd like to use as well.

I'm trying to figure out where this 'buffer' capacity thing comes into it... if I need to add something to stabilize the water at an acidic range.. because something else I read on acidic fishes said it was best to soften the water before runing it through peat. [​IMG]

So really I just want to know if I ought to make sure my water is soft (rain water now that were getting so many storms [​IMG] ) Or if I need to add trace minerals or some such to increase the buffer capacity... thats where I got lost... [​IMG] I do remember reading that rain is on the acidic side already....

Hehehe... reading back through that I can see it's easy to tell I don't know much about the subject. [​IMG]
    Ohh and I have some more complex testing strip things coming with the peat.

ETA: I'd like to incorporate the Peat and continue with the Almond leaves for more reasons than the PH.. they are beneficial in other ways...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  9. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Now it makes sens, I always thought a flashing light would distract a horse, no wonder I'm no good with them... [​IMG]

10. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    If you're using rainwater, the water will be pretty acidic. I honestly don't know what you should use to buffer, if anything. You probably should talk to a fish person. Maybe try emailing the author of that article. I didn't know you could even use rain water in a fish tank. I have some fish, but I just use tap water. If you have hard water, and you you are using tap water and rain water both, that should be plenty of buffer. If you don't have hard water, I know you can buy aquarium salt, but I'm not sure what type would be best for your purpose, if there even are different types. Hope that helps a little, and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by