water chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dumplingirl, Aug 23, 2014.

1. dumplingirl

dumplingirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    hy I have a question about my chicken dumpling she is a amerucana every time we let them free range she comes out and runs to the water thing that we use to water the garden and she waits for me to turn it on she guzzle it down like she hasn't had any water in the coop we have water nipples buckets every thing she still does it

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My bird act the same way! During these past hot summer months, I've been giving them little containers of water whenever they come out of their runs. Even though they have a perfectly functional nipple waterer full of fresh water, they come running over and drink as though they haven't drank for a long time! I think that they just prefer the water dishes to the nipple waterer.

They even prefer drinking rainwater from puddles to using their nipple waterer. I see them drinking from the nipples, but I guess they just don't like them.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Have you seen her drinking from the nipples? If so, then she probably just likes the hose water more. I use nipples in my coop, and even though the birds know how to drink from them, they still come rushing over to drink from what seems like anything besides the nipples: rainwater puddles, dew droplets, dishes of water, etc. They still lay well and are perfectly healthy, so they must be getting enough water from the nipples; they just don't like them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by