water coming out of chickens beak!

Ilovechickens119

Chirping
Apr 4, 2019
Hi all I have four bantams and one of them has been broody for an extraordinary amount of time, about 4months or so. Today when I picked her up I noticed a squirt of clear liquid come out of her beak. She seems well in herself apart from the broodiness and this has only happened once but I was wondering what this could be?

any replies are massively appreciated! :)

It is a respiratory illness trait. And it can spread...if this is the first time you have seen this happen, chances are maybe not all the other chickens have it

Hi all I have four bantams and one of them has been broody for an extraordinary amount of time, about 4months or so. Today when I picked her up I noticed a squirt of clear liquid come out of her beak. She seems well in herself apart from the broodiness and this has only happened once but I was wondering what this could be?

any replies are massively appreciated! :)
4 months is a long time to be broody.
She may have a crop issue or it's possible you pressed the crop and expelled water when you picked her up.
Re-Check the crop in the morning, if it's not empty, then I would begin treating for sour crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Does she have chicks that she's raising or is she just sitting?

Since she's broody, she probably hasnt eaten or drank much. When she does eat, she most likely gorges on feed and water. Then the crop overfills and liquid is expelled.
It would be best to break her broodiness since it can effect her health over time.
Isolate her away from the flock where she cant see the others. Put her in a cage with food and water for about 10 days. Then return her to the flock. If she goes back to being broody, isolate her for 3 weeks. That should break her.

Since she's broody, she probably hasnt eaten or drank much. When she does eat, she most likely gorges on feed and water. Then the crop overfills and liquid is expelled.
It would be best to break her broodiness since it can effect her health over time.
Isolate her away from the flock where she cant see the others. Put her in a cage with food and water for about 10 days. Then return her to the flock. If she goes back to being broody, isolate her for 3 weeks. That should break her.
Brilliant thank you so much, I’ll try this. :)

Back
Top Bottom