1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water dish for 4 chickens that will last 10 days

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Crystalchickens, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Crystalchickens

Crystalchickens New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    Arlington, WA
    I'm a new chicken owner of 4 adult chickens. I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas to make or buy a water dish that will last 10 days for 4 chickens? Would a dog dish that holds 1 gallon work? Thank you!

2. Mini Meat

Mini Meat Chillin' With My Peeps

Gotta ask... Why? Why 10 days?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Nipples would work, as you can attach them to whatever size vessel you wish.

Ct

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The big scary thing about leaving water for 10 days is this: what if it is an open container, and tips over? What if it is a typical water fount and they kick enough bedding or other debris into it that it wicks all the water out. What if it's hanging and they bump it enough to unbalance it so it drains out? Multiple containers for 2 - 3 days. I even do multiples every day. But no way would I trust ANYTHING for 10 days, unless it was HUGE, and there was no way it could tip or get filled with debris, and it was of such a fashion that a chicken couldn't get stuck in it. Chickens are pros at figuring out new and novel ways of committing suicide. Ever hear them talking on the roost at night? they're thinking up a new plan. "Hey Rosie, wouldn't it be cool to see that human's face if you stuck your neck through the bail on that water bucket???" And then the rest of the flock would get in on the plan, egging her on.

1 person likes this.
  5. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

A dog dish is open and will quickly fill w/ debris.
    Even still, one gallon of water for 4 mature birds for 10 days would not be enough.
    Are your chickens going to be unattended for 10 days? Vacation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by