water dishes

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailmother, Dec 1, 2012.

1. quailmother

quailmother Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    does anyone serve their quail their water in something other than the quart bottle inverted over a saucer thing?
    as we all know quail water gets so gross! i don't know how they manage to poop in their water! i am thinking of using a ceramic crock that hangs on the side of the cage. i have several i am not using for my parrots, but they are black. do you think they will get the idea of using different form of water dish? will the color black make it hard for them to understand what is inside? quails are sweet but not too bright:)
    has any one seen a transparent water crock?

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    they can and do use different watering systems from drip lines to regular bird waterers that attach to the side of the cage, even rabbit type waterers. Just be sure to show them where the new water is coming from before you remove the old dishes. You can place the birds beak in the new waterer and they will get it.
    good luck

3. bljfarms

bljfarms New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    I use Avian Aqua Miser for my quails and chickens. You can google it for the website. I followed the instructions that came with the Avian and my birds did a great job figuring it out. Tool less then 20 minutes. best thing i have ever used

4. quailmother

Oct 15, 2012
    thank you to GrandmaBird and bljfarms for the tips on water dishes. i keep 5 quail indoors as pets,so the aqua avian miser would be too big to install in my bedroom.
    the local feed mill stopped short of saying i was a crazy quail lady for having them indoors. but i have a house full of birds from finches to a blue and gold macaw. what's a little more poop?:)
    but it's more than a little poop:) i still love my litlle quail, poop and all. they are sweet and relaxing to watch, just as my ringneck doves are. they are in a bedroom, which is really a dove/quail room. sometimes if i feel stressed i go in there and look at them. so calm, so sweet,
    a welcome change from daily stresses and the news!

5. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I've use the pop bottle waters. Similar to the test tube waters they have for cage birds. My birds also transferred very quickly to rabbit type waters, however, their keeper (me) didn't and the cheap bottle I got leaked and dripped out its contents one drop at a time, so I gave up. I suppose if I spent money for a Lixit it would have worked, but I didn't want to spend that much on something I wouldn't know my birds would use.

Try putting your water dispenser up high out of butt range. It helps keep things cleaner a little longer.

6. AZ Birds

AZ Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    im going to try rabbit water bottles on my quail hopefully tomorrow i bought 12 bottles for $1 piece from a neighbor who got out of the rabbit business and tried them out on some 2 week old chickens and they caught on really quick. so im hoping the quail do the same. my only suggestion is probably dont get the bottles with the springs in the spout as it seemed that the chickens were having a hard time with them and liked the ones without springs.

7. Kitei

Kitei Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    I used plastic D-shaped pots that I hook onto the wire on the cages for the Japanese, and for my Chinese, I simply have a raised platform where I put their dish - they never get shavings in their water and don't poop in it when I do that. Very useful~

8. AZ Birds

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ

i use to do the same it worked great in the winter but soon as summer came the AZ weather evaborated the water very quickly.

9. quailmother

Oct 15, 2012
    i have found transparent water crocks at Windy City Parrot. com. i thought a clear water dish would make the new water dish change easier. i am still putting their old water (quart inverted ) in their cage so they can adjust.

10. AZ Birds

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    i have successfully switched all my chickens and quail to rabbit water bottle this week and will never go back to the regular chicken waterers again. definitely a time saver as there is no need to clean them for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by