Water during free ranging???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Amyh, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    My birds are free ranging now and I keep a waterer down on the ground for them. I notice that they don't go near it though and one of my hens took a few drinks when she went back into the coop last night as if she was very thirsty. Do I need to have a few water sources for them while they free range? The water is right where they seem to be hanging out, so I know they see it...

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I keep the regular one in the coop and in the run at all times. When they free range I put out a third one in the area with them, just on the ground in the grass. Chickens are silly though, sometimes they'll go to the 3rd one, and sometimes they'll walk all the way back to the coop for a drink. [​IMG]

All three are the exact same style, so I too, know that they see it & know what it is -- they are just silly!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I keep a couple of waterers outside for my free range flock. The one that they prefer the most - I put a large shallow pan on the ground (it's actually the basin from an old commercial chicken house feeder) and suspended a hose above it, set to drip a few times a minute. The chickens love that one because the water is fresh and DH says it's not raising our water bill more than a few $$s a month and worth it to try and keep them cool during our heat wave. Lately I've noticed that the chickens are starting to drink directly from the nozzle of the dripping hose.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I put our range waters in the shade under some laurels which are on a small hill with a constant breeze. They just about empty it every day 2 1/2 Gallons. Plus thet go to the coop for food and also use that waterer.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I keep water out in a couple of shaded areas, they use both but on very hot days I have to change the water a couple of times. One day I left a water dish in a 'half-shady' spot and they avaoided it....when I reached in it was pretty warm....no wonder they girls were not interested!!

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I keep 3 shallow pans for the chickens, & 3 large tubs for the horses. The horses LOVE the chicken water, so I'm constantly filling them.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I keep a shallow waterer outside in the shade for all chickens but this one is really the most accessible to the biddies. The rest of the chickens love to drink out of the dog's bucket.

During this type of weather we generally refresh the waterers once a day and they really do seem to enjoy the fresh, cool water more than the old...but then, who wouldn't?

I wouldn't worry about it....they will drink any water when they are thirsty. [​IMG]

8. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    We keep a waterer in each of our coops, and they go inside for a drink. Our bigger girls wander farther from the coop and like to drink from the dogs' bowl.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have one 5 gallon waterer outside in the barnyard. They all know where it is and go back to the barn to get a drink.

10. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I've got the big dog waterer in the coop, the double walled waterer in the run and two dog dishes in the yard; one near the house and one near the back of the yard. I think they prefer drinking water from the pond though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by