1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water filters/purifiers in the kitchen??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by coloradochick, Nov 22, 2009.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Do any on you use them and what brand do you recommend?

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Britta

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a small brita water filter. I love it. The water straight from the tap at my college tastes horrendous. When I run it through the filter, it tastes perfectly fine.

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I was told....not sure how true.....but Britta only removes setament and clorine. Not the other potentionally harmful stuff.

I use a reverse osmosis system myself. It has been approved to remove just about everything including nitrates. Ours was on the high side of normal when we bought the house and we have small children so nitrates could be a problem. We opted to have one put in. I am ssoooo pleased with it. We paid about $375.00 for it. But it was truely an investment.

I don't have any setament or "junk" in our drinking water. No poisons or whatever....nitrates, iron, arsnic, and such. The things that they test for.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We have a PUR filter on the kitchen faucet. DH uses it alot; me, not so much.
    The funny thing is that the replacement cartridges for it are $20+ a piece at walmart. Yet, just down the same aisle you can buy a whole new PUR filter, that comes with TWO replacement filters for $24.00.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:Doesn't that really get you? You can replace something for less expense that you can repair.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Doesn't that really get you? You can replace something for less expense that you can repair.

We are living in a disposable society. Nobody fixes anything anymore. Try finding a TV repairman. Everyone just throws it out and buys a new one. [​IMG]

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada

We are living in a disposable society. Nobody fixes anything anymore. Try finding a TV repairman. Everyone just throws it out and buys a new one. [​IMG]

yes indeed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by