Water / Flooring help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dee Dee 2, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I am building an addition (actually seperate) to my present coop. This will be mainly for new chicks. The floor can be raised 9" or ground level. If it is raised can I safely use the small 1/4" hardware cloth for the baby chicks? If not is sand OK ? (washed play sand). Also can I use the rabbitt type waters if I watch and make sure everyone knows where the water is. Thank you !

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Wire should not be used as flooring for chicks, especially heavy breeds. Sand would not be advisable either because of the silica dust that may be harmful to their respiratory system. You may be able to use that kind of waterer, however it may be better to stick with the normal kind at first.
    Good luck!

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. winniem

winniem Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    I have used a rabbit type waterer from day one with my chicks. Works great, no mess!

5. Child of Noah

Child of Noah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Upstate New York
    I have raised my chicks in their brooder box on reptile sand, when they go out to the coop I intend to switch them to river sand, simply because of the cost. I clean the poop out with a reptile sand scoop. Super easy, and the baby chicks love to take dust baths even in their first week of life.
    A rabbit bottle works fine for the chicks. I have used the regular ball-vacuum kind (leftover from when I had rabbits) as well as the Quick-Fill pin valve kind. The chicks learn quickly and their water stays clean.
    My chicks switched to rabbit-bottle type watering devices at 2 weeks of age and caught on quickly. From what I have read, chicks can "learn" nipple waters from day one (next time I have baby chicks, they will be starting out this way, and I can then confirm from experience).
    Best wishes for your new chick annex!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by