Water, food, housing, pen...Is it enough??????

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by scrapmom5, May 8, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    We have fianlly built the duck pen so that my two ducks are happy even if they can't roam. (Which they don't do anyway...if they have free reign on the yard they still stay in one spot) My complaint is they are always dumping the food and water. I was thinking of hooker the feeder and waterer on to the side of the fence so that it does not move. Has anyone tried this and does it work. Second question is their housing. We have a large plastic dog house for them. They do not seem to fond of it since they rarely go in with out encouragement. I put wood shavings on the floor to keep it dry and clean (attempting to keep it clean) We also put river rock in their run to keep the mud down. Is this enough for them? Will they need anything extra in the winters? We can get quite cold (teens often and sometimes lower). I have been told that ducks don't seem to be bothered by the cold like hens can be. Will they be happy?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    They will be fine.

They will go in their house when they feel like it or to lay an egg. Other than that you sound like you have it down!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by