Water & food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by worms7, Nov 28, 2016.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Is this correct water outside & food inside shed
    Cheers Phil

2. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    That is what I do but it really doesn't matter. Just do whatever works for you.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I feed and water inside........As stated it is your preference.......

Cheers!

4. UtePassChickens

UtePassChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    i feed and water outside of their coop. I cant quote whom, however in my research.....water inside the coop during winter adds to the humidity, thus increased risk of frost bite. I also read it is good to put feed outside of coop to make them work a little to go eat when its cold, also keeps the smell of food out of the coop for rodents and what not.. I recently got a K&H 9000 50W birdbath deicer and fixed it to the lid of our water bucket. I been out early mornings when its still about 20F or so and the little water nipples on the bottom of the bucket drip as they do when it is warm out. I also use the 5gallon bucket feeder, you can attach a PVC to top to expand feed hold, but highly recommend it for them to eat from. We have lots of rodents here in the mountains and this prevents them from eating the chicken feed! Oh I built small enclosure off the side of chicken coop to keep feed in dry, snow free area, but separate from sleeping area. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It may be more an issue worthy of consideration during the summer months, when it gets light way before you let them out of the coop.

6. UtePassChickens

Mar 30, 2016
    oh i do not let them in or out of the coop. I have an enclosed run and in the coop I cut a small wool blanket, to create a flap, so they can come and go as they please. it took them a bit to get to use to using it, but now they just come and go thru it. the only reason i really have to go down to the coop, is to collect eggs and once a month to check their food....but after work i do go sit and talk to them for a bit - they are so friendly - i really am surprised I do this - as a kid chickens were a chore never anything more, but now they are like pets lol

7. UtePassChickens

Mar 30, 2016
    this is the roof of the addition. I used an old hydro grow table for the roof to collect rain and snow. i will be adding piping to bring the collected water into the chickens water buckets before excess drains off, but this way, I can fill water by simply spraying hose down the hill, ontop of the coop. .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by