Water for ducks in the winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laurenluckyriri, Dec 31, 2016.

1. laurenluckyriri

laurenluckyriri Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    Hey friends, I have 5 spoiled rotten muscovy ducks, I live in Ontario, Canada and the winter gets pretty cold so we have a heat lamp in their coop to prevent their water from freezing. their water is in a deep litter box and doesn't freeze but everytime I go in their coop they need new water! I understand they are messy animals but they have either completely splashed all the water everywhere or dumped it and left nothing but muck in the bottom! is there a way to make their water last longer? I bring them fresh water every night and by the time I let them out of their house in the morning their food and water has been tipped! any advice on how to make their water last longer would be appreciated.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have tried various things and nothing works so mine don't get water inside at night. They seem to be doing fine with out it. @laurenluckyriri

2 people like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yeah, I never give mine water at night.....I use rubber stock bowls outside and fill up about 3 or 4 times a day.......I lock mine in the Duck house at around 5:30 and they sleep till 8:30 every morning and when I let them out they are happy and content......They Drink and eat.......

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  4. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    For my four muscovies I keep a one gallon stainless steel dish in the barn for them which needs to be refilled during the day. The one gallon size does not allow them to get in the dish to take a bath, but they can submerge their entire heads to clean their eyes. I always dump the water at night after they go to bed, to avoid having to break up ice on top in the morning, and also to keep water from evaporating and causing possible frostbite on the chickens' combs. When it's not too cold they go outside, and prefer to drink from any unfrozen edges of their pond. If possible I will break up some of the edges of the pond for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by