water for ducks!!

rehric00

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
hi everyone! I am getting a Muscovy duck or two tomorrow. My question is, how much water or how big of a pool of water should I have for one or two ducks? Also, how often does the water need to be changed? My husband is concerned that we will be dumping a large amount of water around our chicken pen every single day and that it will keep the ground wet and possibly make the chickens sick.

can some of you share with me how you have your ducks set up with your chickens? As well as how you have yourmake shift pond set up for your ducks. Thanks in advance!

I got a kiddie pool for mine now and they love it! I got 17 ducks from 7 to 5 weeks old,they get the water nasty pretty quick so I change the water every day.

I've got a kid's pool for my muscovy duck.... she loves it... keeps splashing for hours and dipping her head down the pool to reach the treats I put... but the pool is way too far from the chicken's place... I put it next to the house and change water every day....

A kiddy pool will do, that said for draining there will be variables, like the temperature hot weather usually turns the water to ick fairly quick.

I have troughs for my ducks mainly, and 1 kiddy pool... the big duck flock(which is 20 birds) there are two 50GAL troughs and 1 smaller kiddy pool, those i usually flood every other day and drain every two.

The 40GAL for the calls, isn't needed as often, smaller ducks and big pool lol

I doubt it'll make your chickens sick, but they don't like the wet/mud that is why housing chickens and ducks raises complications. Perhaps create an area that you can either make a drainage system for the pool or you can install a drain pipe to drain, in the pool and pond thread there are some great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom