Water for Elephants ... anyone read the book?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Celtic Hill, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Anyone read the book? i love it, its such a great story!

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I read it and I honestly I didn't like it as much as Gruen's horse books Riding Lessons and Flying Changes.

Young Jacob was just such a weenie and there was too much modern thought and language in it. Horses got slaughtered all the time back in the 1930s and the scene where they kill a foundered horse to feed to the lions and tigers and Jacob and Marlena are all upset about it just irks me. Yes, let's keep a severely foundered horse alive and let the lions and tigers go hungry.

Marlena wasn't a very strong character and Gruen is WAY too fond of using "not sure how much function s/he'll recover." She's used it in every single one of her novels.

I did like the character Greg and wish more had been done with him. Old Jacob was interesting too. Ending was corny though.

Read Spangle by Gary Jennings for a better book about the circus. ETA: In Spangle Jennings talks about how certain animals are trained in certain languages for consistency. Ex. Big cats are always trained in German because commands are all one syllable and it is a commanding language.

I'll probably see the movie once it comes out on DVD, but I'm not paying money to see it in the theater since I didn't like the book that much.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  3. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    you mention that and i agree with you on the auntencity (sp) part with the horses. ( i know some old horse dealers, same mentality ) but i think what captured me into it was the classic "Running away with the circus". But i am def going to look into those other books.

Oh and the movie, yeah, im going to go see it with my friend who is a Robbert Pattison ( i dont care if his name is spelt wrong lol) im probally going to be really upset over it. haha

4. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    The daughter in the horse novels drives me crazy and Gruen gets a lot of competition details wrong--like junior riders wearing shadbellies in the dressage phase of a 3 day event. In real life, they aren't allowed to, but the Austrian grandmother is great and I like a lot of the supporting characters.

5. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:I have not read them, although i guess one could say jounior riders wearing shadbellies is possible BUT realistic no, haha how often do you see amazing junior riders like that? haha

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Truely enjoyed the book. I have a friend (86 yrs old) who actually ran away and joined the circus at 13 to avoid being killed by his father. He said that a lot of the historical representations in the book were right on the money. His wife just died. He is estranged from his two sons- if he could, I think he would run away again.

7. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:if you liked this one, you might like one called "modoc" . it's also an elephant/circus story. based on true events (maybe)

8. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:I have not read them, although i guess one could say jounior riders wearing shadbellies is possible BUT realistic no, haha how often do you see amazing junior riders like that? haha

No, read the USEF rulebook. Juniors may not wear shadbellies in the dressage phase of a 3 day event. If they were riding FEI level dressage, yes, but not for eventing

9. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT

No, read the USEF rulebook. Juniors may not wear shadbellies in the dressage phase of a 3 day event. If they were riding FEI level dressage, yes, but not for eventing

oh okay i know nothing about Event, lol, dressage on the other hand...

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Modoc is another great story about elephants!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by