water for free range

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ahmadeido, Sep 6, 2014.

1. ahmadeido

ahmadeido Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    hi, I will have a 10 hen flock and one rooster, they are going to be free range in the next couple weeks, how to I supply water for them other than in their run to drink while free ranging? or do I even need to?

thank you

2. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    I think it all depends on how much space they have to range. I have water in the run and one outside the run but mine range on only bout half acre.

3. ahmadeido

Aug 30, 2014
    I have 12 acres property

4. myfarm4579

Jun 28, 2014
    Depending on your climate if it were me. I would offer them extra water during the hotter months of the year.

5. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    We only have a small lot, but we place bowls of water where they like to congregate. There is one in the coop/run, one in the middle of the yard by a bird bath and one on the opposite side near a favorite napping spot. They visit all three during the day. We just use ceramic dog dishes - they are easy to fill and clean.

6. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    We free range 27 chickens… 9 hens, 2 roosters, 8 pullets at point of lay, 6 eleven week old pullets and 2 eleven week old cockerels. We have 11 acres, but honestly they maybe range on at most 4-5 of it. They have a 5 gallon waterer in their chicken-proof run, other than that they may drink some of the dogs water up at the house but I do not provide additional water. They know where the water is at and simply go back to the coop if they are thirsty. I strongly believe that they will not strand themselves so far from the coop that it becomes life or death if they do not have immediate access to water. If that situation occurs, they are probably not well suited as a free range chicken in my flock. Just my thoughts :). I don't like to make things harder on myself.

1 person likes this.
  7. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    We always use multiple sources of water in case one ever fails.
    One is a child's heavy duty wading pool in a shaded area (under a market umbrella) that has been recessed into the ground like a small pool. We reflll daily and clean often. They really love this and spend a lot of time here in summer especially.

8. ahmadeido

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks for everyone's replies, I think I might supply one source of water other than the coop's run , or even try just in the coop's run at first.

9. myfarm4579

Jun 28, 2014
    Good luck to you and your flock:)

10. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    So envious of those 10, 12 acres.

They will stay near the coop (100') most of the time, unless there are temptations to venture further (200' at times). They will drink from that muddy puddle as well as the waterer you put out. I just make sure there are at least 2 sources in case one dries up or is tipped over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by