Water for new chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Minsara, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Minsara

Minsara Out Of The Brooder

I gave water for my chick with Chicken Waterer but chick is trying to jump on water.How do I gave him water
    [​IMG]

2. CCsChickens

CCsChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    Try a small teaspoon with water and just hold it touching the underneath of chickie's beak and they should slowly get the idea... or even press it gently between its beak to allow water to get in. Whatever you do don't put a bowl of water in if its already trying to jump in - chicks are notorious for jumping into bowls of water and drowning.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Using a tsp and holding it to its beak is a good idea. I use a medicine dropper to give new chicks water. However, I would not recommend pressing it between the beak, or opening the beak and letting/squeezing water in. Chicks can aspirate fluid very easily and they typically die when that happens. Its always best to let them drink on their own.

If your chicks are small, you might have to start them with a quail drinker and then upgrade to the chick sized drinker when they've grown a bit.

Good luck.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That is the standard water dish most use for chicks. You may want to put marbles in the water or sterilized rocks. This allows them to "step on the water" and drink w/o drowning. When you add new chicks to the brooder you should quickly dip their beaks (sounds odd I know, and just their beaks don't get it in their nostrils) so they realize that's their water and set them down. they should find and drink their water all on their own as nature intended. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Now I use quail waterers for all my chicks but before I started raising quail I just put marbles in the chcken waterers to keep them from making a mess.
    I know "they say" to dip a chicks beak in the water but being that chicks peck at everything it doesn't take them very long to find the water on their own accord.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by