Water for new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mychik, Nov 2, 2008.

1. mychik

mychik New Egg

May 11, 2008
    Polk City, FL
    My hen just had 2 chicks. Can someone tell me if I should use Terramycin in there water? How much should I put in the water? thanks

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Are they SICK?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, what Wildsky said...are they sick?
    Terramycin is an antibiotic and should only be used for bonafide illness.

4. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    We just got our chicks a week ago and EVERYONE at the feed store and tractor supply told us to put terramycin in there water for at least a week!!!! I talked to several BYCers and they said no so, we decided NOT to use it because we were told if we did and for some reason they did get sick it wouldnt work because there body would be immune to it!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    If they are NOT sick then NO dont use it, No need !!! Chicks are more hardy than we give them credit for, Mama will teach and take care of them, there is not much you need to do besides chick starter and water. And keep and eye out and make sure shes a good mom !!

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'm seeing more and more "the feed store told me" posts coming up - I think the feed stores are trying to BOOST sales or something by getting people to BUY as much as possible. Its crazy!

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Ive noticed that also !! Kind of like last time I went to buy feed it was like you need this, this and this and I was like.... Nooooo, I need this !!! Must be b/c winter is coming !! What poop heads !!

Just hope they dont start killing chicks/chickens by telling people to give them all this stuff !!

8. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    what about medicated chick start? is that ok? thats what i bought for my babies, but only one bag, then went to just the chick start mash.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Medicated starter is fine, I would guess at least 50% of folks here use that. No harm, I prefer not to if I can find un-medicated, but in this part of the world its difficult.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, the medicated chick starter is fine. It doesn't have an antibiotic in it. The medicine in chick starter is to help prevent coccidia (sp?), which is a parasite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by