water for new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kidarcy, Jan 16, 2011.

1. kidarcy

kidarcy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    had my first ever chick starting to break thru! i've got everything ready for them as far as food and water. questions on water, regular tap water ok??? i think it may contain chlorine??
    thanks

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Tap water is OK.

Place some marbles in your water container so the chicks won't drown.

3. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Should be ok. I put a little bit of sugar in with the water just to keep them lively.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

When using tap water which may contain chlorine, pour the water into a large jar or something, with the lid off. Let it set a couple of hours - the chlorine will dissipate. (This is an old aquarium trick.) If you want to be extra careful, let it sit overnight before you use it. Then just keep a jar of it sitting open to refill your chick waterer as it is needed.

5. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I'm on Well water at the new house, so I don't have to worry about chlorine, but our old house was on city water. I agree, let a jar of water sit open to dissipate the Chlorine....

6. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    Aha! A new use for the Brita pitcher we don't use often enough! [​IMG] My mom still has gallon-size pickle jars full of water in her bathroom (there's a small open area at one end of the counter just wide enough for those jars). SHe keeps like 9 of them in there! My sister had a 50-gallon fish tank when we were kids full of Guppies, so we kept 40 jars ready for whenever the tank needed cleaning. Now though, she just keeps them for power outages and stuff...nothing ike stale water coffee. [​IMG]

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

When they are older, they'll free range and drink out of the darnest things, anything that has nasty o'l water in it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by