water for newborns

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dadsgirl, Jul 4, 2008.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    when chicks are born , i have heard you need to put some sort of additive to their water that includes vitamins and antibodics, does anyone know if this is true , and if it is what is the name of the medicine i should use? thanks

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I had electrolyte on hand in case they needed them, but didn't use it.

My chicks were less than 12 hours old when I got them at our co-op and a few didn't seem thirsty even after dipping the beaks. I watered them off my fingertips and they loved it.

But this is my first flock, so I hope someone with more experience will jump in.

I have all 12 at 7 weeks![​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    No need to put in antibiotics unless they are looking sickly.

But, they will thrive with a little milk and sugar in their waterer...at least from my experience.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

chicks arent born, they hatch. lol. You dont have to use electrolytes, but it will help them adjust to the regular chick food.

5. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there...mine were less than 24 hrs. old when I got them and I didn't put anything in their water except a little apple cider vinegar. They've never had any problems. Now if I don't put the ACV in their water they turn up their noses, they prefer their water to have ACV in it....hope this helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by