Water for winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newchickmom, Oct 3, 2009.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I cannot seem to find the home made waterers I saw on here before.
    Also, I was wondering how much electricity a water trough heater uses? I am thinking about rigging a water storage tank for the coop since we can't run water to it and I don't want to carry water from the barn on a daily basis.

2. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    anybody there? [​IMG]

3. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Don't know about the home made waterier but as for the electricity used by a heater depends on the wattage of the unit and the outside temp and how long it will be on.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    When we lived up north, we used a floating stock tank heater that always kept part of the surface open water. They come is different wattages depending upon desired results. Might work for you fine.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

How many birds do you have? I'm guessing quite a few!

I have only 12 and use a heated dog bowl (1.5 L), works great.

6. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Lynne,

Can you send us the brand name of your heated dog bowl? I'd like to find one here locally.

7. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
  8. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    Don't buy that waterer Technodoll. I bought that waterer and sent it back. The plastic is so thin and flimsy. I think it would not last one season. Sorry to be so blunt, but I could not believe how cheap it was made. I will use a bucket heater that I used last year. Not fancy but works.

9. CrazyChickMom

CrazyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    I see it only works for -10 degrees. What if its colder? Anything out there that works for colder temps?

10. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Oh wow! I had no idea... THANK YOU so much for the advice, you just saved me money, time and aggravation!

I hope the coop won't get to below freezing, I still need to insulate it some more and add proper ventilation, will do the deep litter method and all... it's about 12 x 11 and have 14 chickens in there.

Worst case I will use a heated dog bowl to get through the winter months. I found one here at the local farm co-op for $70.

Anyone know where I can order one for cheaper?

I am in Canada and cannot order from the USA as customs and duties are very expensive, so is shipping across the border... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by