water freezing ...temps are cold in the north east

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tav1, Jan 1, 2015.

1. tav1

tav1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    up to now temps have been cool in the north east but lately it's been freezing over night. I have a 1 gal. plastic
    waterer and every morning it's frozen solid ....no biggy ,but just wondering about those plastic water heaters ,
    if I put that plastic waterer in the that plastic heater will it melt? or is it a low temp heat and just enough to keep
    the water from freezing?

1 person likes this.
  2. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    If we're going to have a hard freeze (by our standards - temps below 32* all day or below 10* at night), we bring our waterer inside at night and put it back out in the morning. Since the girls sleep with the pop door closed against predators, they don't miss the water at night. We've found that the amount of water in our waterer generally won't freeze solid during the day if it starts at house temperature (65*) in the morning.

If it's particularly cold, we'll start with hot water in the waterer. The water in the drinking well is cool by the time we've walked out to the run.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  3. tav1

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    yea when changing the ice water in the morning I did start using warmer water when refilling.
    it is a little warmer during the day. so they really don't drink much at night?

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Chickens roost in the dark, after eating and drinking, and then get up with the light. They want to drink and eat then. I use the heated metal base for metal waterers, in the coop because my run isn't covered. The heated plastic waterers do work, but are a pain to fill without dumping water everywhere. At least that's how it happens here! Without heated waterers, you need to be out there first thing in the morning, and two or three more times during the day, trading out the frozen water with fresh from the house. Mary

5. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC

Correct. You may have heard the expression "up with the chickens" used to refer to someone who's an early riser. Chickens sleep (and poop) all night and eat and drink all day. So it's fine not to have water out at night ... provided they have water when they wake up. The hubs and I are always up before the chickens, so it's no big deal to put the water out when we go out in the morning.

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a modified version of the cookie tin heater.

Worked well with a 2-3 gallon double wall metal waterer.

Water did not freeze with -9F recorded coop temperature.

7. tav1

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    lately I've been bringing the waterer in at night and refilling with fresh water for the next day due to freezing
    . I'm up on the early side cuz I work 3pm to 12 (2nd shift) so I really don't mind getting out there
    in the morning. I guess I'll keep doing this till I get fed up and find a new way. I only have 3 ladies
    so it's not that bad .....except for the poo.......lol to bad there wasn't a poo less chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by