water froze......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HickoryHollow, Jan 16, 2015.

1. HickoryHollow

HickoryHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Bolivar, Ohio
    Early this week, I had an extension cord come loose at the outlet. The heater under the waterer in one of my coops turned off and the water froze. Now, the 18 hens in that coop that had been putting out about 16 eggs a day are now putting out about 6 or 7 a day. The problem has been fixed and lots of good fresh water is now available. I have heard before that the lac of water will absolutely kill egg production. I found lots of articles supporting that. I can NOT find anything telling me how long.....(if ever) the problem will correct and they will go back to full production.
    Has anybody experienced this? How long did it last? Please heeeelllllpppppp!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Well if it triggers a molt that can last awhile. I would imagine they would come back pretty soon if they don't go into molt. But if you aren't giving supplemental lighting then they may quit for the winter. Mine are taking a break since I am not lighting the coop this year. I get about 1-3 eggs a day from 22 hens right now. But they will start back up again when the days are longer.

If yours are in their pullet year they should spring back I would imagine (but am not sure). Mine are older.

Just my opinion- I really don't know.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  3. HickoryHollow

HickoryHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Bolivar, Ohio
    Thanks Sweet,
    I have a light on a timer in there that is on until10:00pm. The weather has warmed up this week. It is in the mid to upper 30's so that might help too. I added apple cider vinegar to their water yesterday. I am really depending on these eggs to fill the incubator.......this really sucks! lol

Friday I got 8 eggs and yesterday 6 eggs from 18 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by