Water getting hot in summer

Texas backyard chickens

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, Texas
1E82D5D9-25F6-4544-BC2B-83992E581BB5.png C2508706-A875-4D43-A949-BE0A1FFAD177.png 895F43FC-1574-4984-BE40-7DEC20955311.png Has anyone had any success with a idea like this....I live where it’s scortching hot with high humidity. Houston, Texas. I am preparing to get chickens and wanted to have everything set up. So with summer coming if I got a igloo water cooler and attached the chicken waterers or nipples... I could keep ice in the waterer and keep the water cool all day when I’m at work. I was thinking the little water cups would full and the water would get so so hot..... would this be genius ? Ideas or opinions?

I use the horizontal nipples and I have them attached to a 55 gal food grade barrel. They are similar to the vertical nipples in your first picture. With the vertical nipples, the water container has to be hanging from something or elevated. Hard to hang a 55 gallon barrel so horizontal nipples are used to go into the side of the barrel.

I keep the barrel in the shade and in the winter its heated with a small stock tank heater rated for plastic containers for my size.

Oh and so you know, the vertical water nipples have a ball bearing that sits on top of the stem and uses water pressure to seat it closed. It must be mounted vertically or it will leak. The horizontal ones are spring loaded so they will close when mounted on the side of a container.

Here's my problem with those cup style drinkers. You see how they had it inside the run with all the wood shavings on the floor? Those shavings, poo, and other debris will end up in the cups just from the chickens being in there scratching and pecking and running around. This will lead to increased maintenance by the owner.

Also, those cups are designed to fill up and hold water. Depending on where you live, freezing will be an issue. I already mentioned my setup has a heater inside the 55 gallon drum (I have enough birds that I need this size container). The heater has a thermostat to keep the water inside the drum from freezing, but the water that collects in the cups outside the drum would freeze and prevent the chickens from drinking.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try them or that type of setup, but for my location where we have winter, I did not have the best experience with that.

Here's my problem with those cup style drinkers. You see how they had it inside the run with all the wood shavings on the floor? Those shavings, poo, and other debris will end up in the cups just from the chickens being in there scratching and pecking and running around. This will lead to increased maintenance by the owner.

Also, those cups are designed to fill up and hold water. Depending on where you live, freezing will be an issue. I already mentioned my setup has a heater inside the 55 gallon drum (I have enough birds that I need this size container). The heater has a thermostat to keep the water inside the drum from freezing, but the water that collects in the cups outside the drum would freeze and prevent the chickens from drinking.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try them or that type of setup, but for my location where we have winter, I did not have the best experience with that.

I agree, after much thought and deliberation I feel the best choice would probably be the igloo cooler, hung with a few of the “ drip nipples. Hung in the coop. Because with the other items and the tubing like in the article it would heat up the water in the cooler would be cool but all the tubing would be near boiling in the summer and I’m afraid the chickens would not drink all day in 107 degree heat than drink hot water. But I do firmly believe each person has their own specific set up for their specific needs. Thanks for everyone’s input this is exactly what I wanted was a general conversation to help me decide. Thanks everyone!!!!!!

I agree, after much thought and deliberation I feel the best choice would probably be the igloo cooler, hung with a few of the “ drip nipples. Hung in the coop. Because with the other items and the tubing like in the article it would heat up the water in the cooler would be cool but all the tubing would be near boiling in the summer and I’m afraid the chickens would not drink all day in 107 degree heat than drink hot water. But I do firmly believe each person has their own specific set up for their specific needs. Thanks for everyone’s input this is exactly what I wanted was a general conversation to help me decide. Thanks everyone!!!!!!

I have not done this, so I don't know the answer, which is why I'm raising the question, can those nipples be properly installed on the cooler with how thick the walls of the cooler are? Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom