Water heater base failing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by patman75, Jan 20, 2012.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    What you have there is a fine example of Chinese engineering. It is not built to last. Do not buy another one of those. Build a cookie tin heater for a fraction of what you have been paying, and be done with it. I built one for under $5, it's powered by a 40W bulb. It works perfectly and it's CHEAP.
    Jack

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that the 40 watt bulbs are phased out, what would be a replacement heat source?

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  5. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

wow 1 season - well if this heated dog bowl lasts that long, I paid 1/2 the price.
    [​IMG]

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    a heated dog bowl or even a bucket works better, I've seen/heard of to many of those cookie tin heaters start fires, I won't go near them. I use a 8 gal bucket with a cut log next to it. the hens can use it but so can the guard geese in the same area, plus they last a long time are very efficent

7. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

II, what is that light green thing inside the dog dish bowl? Looks like you've added something

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I use a bucket heater designed specifically for outdoor 5 gallon plastic buckets.
    [​IMG]

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I've never heard of that.

Most fires I've heard of have been from using improperly secured heat lamps and not regular light bulbs as in a cookie tin heater

10. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    i have found a solution that works great for me, i use a 60 watt automotive battery tray heating pad that i put between a couple of ceramic floor tiles. this works for both plastic or metal waterers that sit flat on tiles. i live in anchorage alaska and last couple of weeks it has been -15 degrees. have not had water freeze yet. most durable thing i have found for extreme weather

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by