water heater block - ok inside coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tygab, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    This may be a dumb question but we have a metal water fount. We got one of the heater base things that you put the metal fount on. My husband has run the cord into the coop, but could the shavings catch fire? Should we put it outside (seems inefficient)?
    Or just raise it off the ground more? I'm pretty sure no matter what we do there will be shavings all over.

I don't want to burn my coop down, but the nights are returning to freezing this week, so we have to figure out the right placement.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    The few times I have had to use one I set mine on top of a couple of cinder blocks to keep mine clear.

3. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    I have a base heater for the waterer in the coop and I'm not concerned. I can put my hand on it while it's on, so I think it wouldn't reach the heat of combustion to start chip/straw on fire.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, you have to set it up carefully. Mine is on a patio block over 3 cinder blocks. Also pay attention to the cord and find a way to protect it or feed it out where the birds can't get it.

This is one of our summer waterers, and it's sitting on the patio block now. In a few days we'll drill through a vertical beam on that wall, feed the electric cord of the heater base through and plug it in outside the wall in our barn aisleway. We're using a 3 gal galvamized double-walled waterer and a Farm Innovators galvanized base. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post a pic when it's set up.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  5. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    Thanks, I'd appreciate that Lynne (if you don't mind, drop me a PM so I see it).

anyway, it's been warm enough this week we haven't had to run it, and the waterer is back outside for now. I plan to fully scope it out this weekend, and I think we may just use the platform my husband built for the brooder. That plus the heating block's height *should* be enough to keep most chips off it.

We have already secured the cord through the side of the run and coop, so I'm not too worried there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by