Water heater for Minnesota winters?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmrDAN, Nov 12, 2014.

1. farmrDAN

farmrDAN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    Hey,
    I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on a water heater/bowl that wont freeze? Preferably into 30 below 0 Fahrenheit range. I tried
    the system with the aquarium heater, fountain pump and thermocube with a cooler, but the water cups im using are just allowing the
    water to freeze in the cup and I have a fairly good inclination that nipples will freeze as well. It hasn't even gotten below zero yet and
    im lugging hot water out every morning for the birds and the same when i get home from work. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I use an aquarium heater and nipples. Works for me.

3. farmrDAN

May 26, 2014
    along with the cooler apparatus or like a 5 gallon bucket or something?

4. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I made one of these and it got me through all last winter with no problems of freezing, we did get below zero several times last winter.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...icken-waterer-zm0z13fmzhun.aspx#axzz3IsM7jLCL

I modified the design by adding a 1" piece of foam that fits down inside the inner bucket above the water level and also added another thin layer of foam on the bottom that is protected from pecking by a piece of another 5gal bucket that I removed the bottom from and drilled it to match the nipples. With the added foam, I find when I change the water it's steamy even in temps in the 20's.

the only cost for me was the three nipples and the heat tape, I already had the rest of the items.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  5. farmrDAN

May 26, 2014
    That looks promising, but do you think it will work in say 30 below weather? Thats an average temp where I am at. We did have about a month
    last year where we hit 60 below for about 2 weeks straight with the windchill.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I use heated dog water bowls. If you can find metal pet bowl inserts, you can switch them out every day which helps on cleaning. Otherwise, I just pour them out in a bucket, and wipe out the inside with a paper towel and a 10% bleach solution. I carry up a 2 gallon bucket of water each morning, and each evening so the water level is always over 1/2 full. If electric plugs are not an option, then I use 1 gallon black rubber bowls, and each evening, I dump out the contents so it will be empty the next morning to refill. If you forget and the water freezes they are pretty easy to get frozen ice out of. Here are the heated bowls I use: https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...dA&ei=aZtjVMe3BsWZyATB8oCQDw&ved=0COABEKYrMAU

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I use 2-3 gallon buckets and vertical nipples. I have not taken the time or effort to insulate them. I use a 25 watt heater for most of the winter but need to bump that up to 50 or 75 if it is below zero for extended periods.

Horizontal nipples don't work for meas I get dripping and it adds moisture to the coop. Vertical above their heads and I get no dripping. Cups don't make the cup at all.

9. Zanlm

Zanlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    How does the aquarium heater work? This will be my first winter with chicks and I am nervous about this winter thing and chickens.

10. farmrDAN

May 26, 2014
    The aquarium heater works mint, its just my setup doesnt allow the aquarium heater to heat the water. I think im going to try and insulate a 5 gallon bucket with the aquarium heater and and nipples, not the cups. Potentially use some heat tape as well to keep the area around the nipples the warmest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by