water heater in the coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kbu, Nov 15, 2010.

1. kbu

kbu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    has anyone used one of these metal water heater base items? it stated on the box - outside use - but has anyone used one in the coop? i was planning on inside the coop and keep it a bit elevated so it is not in direct contact with the straw.

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yes I've used them in the coop for years--I do put them up on bricks that completely cover the bottom to prevent mice from getting underneath. They're thermostatically controlled--metal waffle type and only go on when temps fall below 32. Be aware that they aren't to be used with plastic waterers though.

3. kbu

kbu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    thanks for the insite. i have a double walled metal waterer and some bricks so all should be good to go. thanks again.

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
  5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:Yup, that is theone I have for my large fowl, as they drink more than agallon a day. I have mine in my coop and hubby built a wooden base with edges so that it cannot be knocked off the wooden base into the wood shavings. I then use a large rubber bowl for water over it (I think about 4 - 5 gallons? And yes, it has a thermostat so that it will not kick on until the temps reach around 35-40°F

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I've used one of those for 25 years. The only problem I've had is mice getting in under it, building a nest and chewing the wires. Make sure that when you put it up on bricks or pavers--which is recommended and will keep it out of the shavings--that the bottom is completely covered so the varmints can't get inside. BTW, a combination of water and chicken manure will eventually corrode them out. I figure on mine lasting 5 or 6 years.

7. kbu

kbu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    Quote:got mine at BIG R (like TSC). it is the same and was a bit cheaper at my Big R. (plus i have a card for % back there [​IMG] ) checked on line but could not find this on the company site.
    good luck to you this winter...time to run the electricity here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by