Water heater recommendations

ringaring

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Norfolk, NY
I have a nipple waterer for chickens in which I use an immersion heater for stock tanks. Is this safe for buckets of water where duck stick their heads in? I worry about it shorting out & electrocuting them or them trying to nibble it & getting burned. I have heater buckets which have not been very reliable & will still form ice on top. TIA

It will need to be caged so it can not make contact with the plastic sides an melt. Ducks will chew on power cords. Run it through some PVC pipe or take an old hose slit it lengthwise and run the cord inside.
If you reduce the air contact with the heated bucket you can improve it's efficiency. Take a larger bucket like a 5 gallon pickle bucket. Drill a hole on the side to run the cord through and a few drain holes on the bottom. Place a non flammable insulation on the bottom and sides, bubble wrap silver stuff would work well, put the heater bucket inside. Raise the bucket on bricks or dirt so the tops are even. Then take the lid for the 5 gallon bucket, cut a 4-6 inch hole just big enough for them to dunk in. Snap the lid on and let it snow

Screenshot_20210904-104948_Chrome.jpg

I've used these several yrs in an insulated tank.
Plus 2 on covering the cord. A piece of plastic conduit or even some of that corrugated automotive wire loom stuff or old hose. Maybe even an old washing machine discharge hose.

View attachment 2822325

I've used these several yrs in an insulated tank.
Plus 2 on covering the cord. A piece of plastic conduit or even some of that corrugated automotive wire loom stuff or old hose. Maybe even an old washing machine discharge hose.
That is the kind I use, and I put it in black rubber pans...

Directly on the rubber... poultry CAN come in contact with the metal and the cord.

I have NOT ever done anything to protect the cord.

I have used it with muscovy ducks and chickens... zero injuries, zero damage to cord or deicer.

Many years.

I do however, HIGHLY recommend (if you get so cold that splashed water immediately turns to ice) use a water holder that is IMPOSSIBLE for the ducks to splash in.

Back
Top Bottom