Water heater

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MamaSaylor, Nov 11, 2013.

1. MamaSaylor

MamaSaylor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    We are in the forecast for our first snow tonight. This will be our first winter with chickens.

We bought a water heater, are they safe to put in the coop? Its raised off the ground wooden coop with linoleum flooring. Do they get hot enough to worry about fire hazard? Or should I cover the run and stick it outside?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there & welcome,
    I'm paranoid about fire, so I don't heat the waterer. I get up in the morning, take over a fresh pail of tepid water and replace the frozen. I do the same in the afternoon if necessary. Since the chickens are sleeping at night, if you get up early they shouldn't get dehydrated. That's my choice, I'm sure others will give you further advice, good luck, Sue

3. jsmith2952

jsmith2952 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I keep mine out in the run (which is covered) on top of a stepping stone. Its a diy cookie tin and lightbulb set up. I was nervous putting it in the coop since there's so much more shavings and straw and whatnot in there than in the run, but I've seen plenty of pics of those who have it right in the coop surrounded by straw. Hope that helps.

4. MamaSaylor

MamaSaylor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013

I fail as an early bird right now lol, which is why I was asking if it could be inside lol. Pregnant with #4 and 3 under 4.. I'm cherishing sleep lol

We had chickens growing up and this is what we would do lol

5. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I can see why you don't want to get up in the morning............[​IMG]

6. brookhill

brookhill Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Has anyone tried the commercial made water heaters? By commercial made I mean not a DIY. I'm not that handy, but don't know if the ones you can buy in the store are worth the money.

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.

You can get one online, or from an AG store, or TractorSupply, for right around $50, give or take a couple of bucks. I guess they would work OK, but, you are buying a piece of fine RedChinese engineering. It may last for years, or it may crap out on you the first night. And thats the thing, once it burns out, it's done, throw it in the garbage can.
    Thats why I built one of those cookie tin heaters, it costs me less than $5, and if the bulb burns out, I can just open it up and put in a new one. $5 for something I put together in about 15-20mins, and has worked great for going on 4yrs. Or $50 on a crapshoot that might not last a week. That would be up to you if it is worth the money. For me, it was an easy choice.
    To the original poster, put the water heater inside the coop. Put it on top of a couple of concrete pavers, and set the water fount on top of that. I wouldn't set it right down on the floor, it would be too low anyway, and the waterer would just get filled up with bedding debris.

8. brookhill

brookhill Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Thank you for your opinion. While I'm the least talented DIY person on this earth. I'll look into building one as you suggested ;)

9. PrincessTamTam

PrincessTamTam Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2012
    We built two water heaters out of old cookie tins. Drill a hole in the side, run the wire through, attache the hardware and screw in the lightbulb. The tin itself rests in a wooden box and the waterer sits onto of the tin lid. It works great and we made two for each of our 7 gallon waterers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by