Water heaters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Skip, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Any tips on water heaters? My chicken's waterers are freezing every night and they aren't getting hydrated enough. What do you use for a water heater in the winter?

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    heated water bucket from any farm supply store.
    we have 1 in each chicken house, and 3 more in the other barns for the donkeys and goats. they work great!!

3. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
  4. stayathomedad

stayathomedad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2008
    I use 1 1/2 gallon heated bowls. I have two of them for 39 chickens. I purchased them at Rural King for $15.

5. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I use a two gallon double sleeve fountain that I got from Tractor Supply. Tonight I got a heater from Tractor Supply that the fountain will sit on. the heater cost $45.00 but now I don't have to worry about frozen water every morning.

6. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Midwest
    Someone on here said they bought a crock pot at the Goodwill and used it on low. Sounded like a clever idea. I use a heated dog dish for the bantams and heated buckets for the geese and big chickens. I have a heated base for a poultry fount for the tiny ducks. [​IMG] The WORST ones I bought were the poultry founts that are heated with the fill hole at the bottom. You have to unplug them at the very bottom, try to fill them upside down and they are tippy-- then upright them slopping water everywhere and THEN try to get the cord plugged in...blindly. Very frustrating for this old lady out in the cold! [​IMG]

7. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We have one too - I lucked out and found mine on Ebay for $30 total, they are usually $50-60 via the web, however, American Livestock Supply has them for $35. Ours hangs under the coop in the open air, my husband cut a corner off from a pallet to boost it up more and I have it behind a windbreak to keep water away from it.

I so love not having to worry about water freezing... [​IMG]

Phyllis

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Farm Innovators, 1.5 gal heated dog bowl, with spring-like wire to protect the cord...working great.

9. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Quote:I tried it....THIS WORKS PERFECTLY!!!!!!. 25wt bulb is enough to keep water from freezing. Major quality of life upgrade for me this year.

10. terrif

terrif Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    Warrensburg, MO
    Cinder block with a light bulb/socket inside, pan sits on top. Piece of cake and can be easily removed when Spring gets here!

Terri.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by