Water heating methods for a coop with no electricity

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JenifferHartman, Oct 16, 2013.

1. JenifferHartman

JenifferHartman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    This is our first winter with chickens and as the evening temperature continue to plumet, I'm getting concerned about our flocks water supply freezing. We have no electricity in our coop and it is too far from the house to run a power cord out to it. Any ideas?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There are really not a lot of options
    You can bring the water inside at night, and put it back out every morning.
    What type of waterers?
    How many birds?
    How far from the house to the coop?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I just carry a pitcher of warm water out at least twice a day and pour in the black rubber tub. If the ice is on the thick side, I have one of my ds break it with a stick first, then add the warm water.

If an animal has a chance to drink at least twice a day, they'll be fine. I know humans are brainwashed lately that if all organisms don't have fresh, pure, crystal spring water every 15 minutes we'll dehydrate up and die, but that's just not true. Animals have been watered twice a day for centuries and done well, been productive.

4. JenifferHartman

JenifferHartman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    We have 2 coops that each house 10 chickens. I use a standard red and white one gallon plastic waterer. And the coops are roughly 350ft from the house.

5. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    There are solar water heaters.

Even the black bag type you use for backpacking may work depending on how cold you get.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    With that small size I think your best option is bring them in every night
    Solar won't keep them from freezing at night, and any other heat source would involve open flames

It's tough to safely prevent freezing without electricity

7. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I carry water out to the pen. I keep 2 buckets in the run all the time, full of water. When it freezes, I just take a pitcher of hot tap water out in the morning, and melt the ice. Worked great last winter!!

8. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    If you use two wall metal founts you can use a small kerosene burner under them.

They did it that way for 200 years!

If you have a metal fount you can also paint it with black solar absorbing paint and place it in a suitably located window and at least during the day it could collect a lot of solar energy that will do some thawing. This method will depend upon where you live but you didn't tell us that.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by