1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water in coop at night

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chriscruz, Nov 21, 2015.

1. chriscruz

chriscruz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Is it necessary to have food and water available inside the coop? After the chickens have come in and are roosting for the night I close the opening to keep it warm but the food and water are outside in the run. I have two older chickens and I have never left food or water inside, but now have integrated 2 Black Jersey Giants and two Coco Marans (all four months) into the flock (all are getting along except they won't share a roost yet). Do the younger birds need water during the night?

-thanks!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No, as long as they have access to it in the morning.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Your birds want to eat and drink at first light, so if you are out there EARLY to give them access to their feeders and water, have it in the coop. Mary

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I agree! If your not outside to let them out first thing in the morning?? Provide food and water in the coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by